Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Le Grenier a Pain (Paris) - ♕♕♕♕♕

   This boulagerie shop in Montmartre near Sacre Coeur has won a 1st Prize for both their Baguettes as well as their Croissants in Paris.  The shop has roughly 30 outlets in Europe all the way to Tokyo.   The locals who live in this area and queuing in line with me told me excitedly that this IS the best shop in Paris when it comes to traditional sourdough breads and the same applies to their other pastries and tarts.    Since everyone is born different,  I will just write it as I discovered it myself. 




OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
There are a few outlets -
But this is probably the most famous original shop.






OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
Those Apricot,  Pear or Apple tarts,
just look superb -


 



OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
Kouing Amang -
*Kouign Amann,  to be precise and what I think they have meant to type.. 






OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
Some Decent Pastries and Pretty Looking -
I think they belong to the old school camp,  in their own right.







OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
These Bread Rolls -
They look very enticing but I don’t think I should waste food ordering them,  only to take 1 bite.







OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
Off the Shelf items also available -






OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
The Award Winning Breads -
These were endorsed by a French local who insisted that I should order some.
I wanted to but I can’t fit in everything.  Sigh.. Sad smile







OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
Paris Award Winning Croissant -
This looked too pale in colours, right?  At that very moment,  I was thinking,  I am getting duped again with all these marketing fanfares and lies…  But the proof is in the pudding, and once I bit in I knew I was in for a home base run of a viennoserie.    The pastry layers literally bursted into a million shards as soon as I clamped my teeth together against the pastry,  the sound it made was completely new to me.  It was just educational.  The pale colour of the croissant was very deceiving indeed,  and they probably deliberately under-baked it knowing that the customer might re-heat it in the oven.  This was just so amazing and no wonder it has won the 1st Prize for the best croissant in town.  If only it was more browned by default,  but understandable from shop’s point of view.     ~  9/10

 





OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
Citron Tart -
The shop highly recommended this.   The pate sucree crust was more on the softer side, and a plastic fork will cut through it easily like butter unlike many places which are more too hard crusty!  The citrus curd was quite tangy and had a very lime-like taste which really awakened your senses,  it was really refreshing and also both sour and sweet simultaneously.  Liked this ~  but probably think this was a little too pedestrian like to be artisanal and slightly too sweet in the background.   ~  7.5/10







OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
The Montmartre market crowd -
I liked this shop a lot.  It is slightly more traditional than the more advanced boulangerie or dedicated pastry shops.   But it is affordable and done to very high standards.  I would be totally happy if I could have access to here on a daily basis.   It’s not perfect yet,  but it’s still definitely a very well done job and worth a repeatable visit. !



 


Price:   Euro $5
Ease of Access:   4/5  (3 Mins walk from Metro Abbesses, near Sacred Coeur.)
Food:   ♕♕♕♕♕

Opening Hours:
Mon to Sun -  7:30am to 20:00pm

Address:  38 rue des Abbesses, 75018 Paris
Ph: +33 1 46 06 41 81

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...