Saturday, December 12, 2015

海景軒 Hoi King Heen [ Hong Kong ] - New Wintery Dishes with Tibet Lamb and Yak Cow Dishes


 Recently, we arrived back to Hoi King Heen,  since Chef Leung is introducing his new Wintery Dishes.  What enticed us to really must coming back during this festive time is because we saw the ingredients involve some Tibetan meat,  namely the hairy Yak Cow and also the local Lamb meat from the mountainous ranges...  How exotic!  By the way I forgot to take a photo of the receipt,  so will update the prices later when I go back to TST East and check it again.





Some Chili Beans Sauce,  Chili Soy Sauce and Tofu's -

When you see these,  you know we have settled down comfortably in Hoi King Heen!





鮮竹時蔬卷 - Fresh Beancurd Sheet Roll with Vegetarian and Goji Berry filling

I have had this numerous times,  but for some reason this time carried more soy taste and was sensational.   I guess they are always improving.  ~ 9/10





Smoked Spanish Eel - 煙燻西班牙風鱔

This was interesting to me because I usually eat the Holland Gerookte Paling version,  or the Scottish or French type.  Even as a Spanish food lover I didn't think I have had the smoked eel from there.  This is right on season and quite fatty marbled,  served with some Japanese Takuan pickles.  Interesting that Chef Leung wanted to serve this appetizer in a Cantonese restaurant,  but in a way this is smart to get your palates whet!  ~ 9/10





花膠菜膽燉北菇 - Fish Maw,  Vegetables Heart and Japanese Mushroom

When I unrolled the fish maw,  I was flabbergasted that it was nearly 20cm long.  After the current social banning of eating Shark Fins in Cantonese cuisine,  we were discussing that Fish Maw has sort of taken its place as replacement.  Although personally speaking because I deal with this trade too,  I think most people might be surprised Fish Maws are equally not very environmentally safe as fresh water fishes are involved,  which I shouldn't be saying coz my business partners won't like it xD.  But doesn't matter,  just sharing the information and I am trying to make them sustainable myself gradually.  Give me more time to achieve it. Very sweet soup  ~ 8/10







雙冬西藏羊腩 - Winter Bamboo Shoots and Mushrooms,  with Tibetan Lamb 

This was simply amazing!!  The skin layer was almost jelly like and fresh,  the meat beneath was tender and full of lamb taste,  yet it wasn't gamey!   No wonder Chef Leung was proud of this dish himself as it just striked the perfect balance.  In fact the base Spice and Vinegary layer with the additional Chinese Wine was immaculately portioned,  paired with some Tofu Beancurd Skin as per tradition.  Probably the best Lamb Pot I have eaten for the past 10 years!!!!!    Don't forget to dip the meat into some Fermented Tofu dip,  here also done delicately with Kaffir Lime leaves and Chopped Chili as per traditional.   I wanted to eat this whole thing by myself!!!   ~ 12/10





Chinese Lettuce Hearts -
Perfectly prepared.  This is also boiled back into the Lamb Soup to absorb up the liquid flavour.  Actually I don't know if I am correct but this seems a fairly Shunde style of eating to me,  but even in Canton or Hong Kong or Macau side,  we are accustomed to it.






藏香西藏氂牛柳 - Tibetan Yak Beef Tenderloin, served with Fried Taro Strips

Another amazingly balanced dish.   This was also flavorful and tender.  If you have had Yak meat or Yak cheese before,  usually they can be quite strong in taste but as Chef Leung explained this is one of the best parts,  since many other parts of the beef could be a bit lean tough.  This was done superb.   ~ 10/10






米皮紅豚肉絲 - Rice Rolls with Spanish Duroc Red Pork
The pork used deviates from the more usual UK or Japanese Kurobuta,  Hungarian Mangalica,  or Portugese or Spanish Black pork a bit because the kitchen wanted to be less gimmicky but still provide a good porky dish.   I love Duroc pork usually and I appreciate them to incorporate this ingredient into a Chinese dish recipe and less cliched.   There is also some famous Chili sauce on the plate as dips.  ~ 8/10






紅燒西藏氂牛膝 - Tibetan Yak Beef Knee

Apart from the above tenderloin cut,  Chef Leung thinks this butchered cut of the Yak cow is also worth braising for the gelatinous parts and the marbled meat!   This is actually tenderized using natural fruits and its sugar ( I know which fruits but may be it's Hoi King Heen's trade secret,  so better not publish it online but we can always share recipes in person next time ).   Surprisingly this recipe didn't use any rock sugar but was super tender and sweet.  I was already so full but I asked for some white rice to mop up all the sauce...  I don't think I have been so hungry for a long time.  Everything tonight was just soooo good homely yet simultaneously Creative.   I have always said Chef Leung and his equally Award-Winning proteges in the kitchen make some of the most exemplary Cantonese or Chinese inspired dishes that are unique in this world.   Truth be told I never understood why in recent years they lost their Michelin Star - to me personally,  this is definitely worth Michelin 2-3 stars in recipes alone as it re-invents and define modern Cantonese Cuisine.   ~ 10/10







宮庭咸魚包 - Pork and Salted Fish Buns
This is quite a traditional recipe in Canton Region,  where salted fish are abundant.   I have had this a few times here too as it is a relatively late addition to the menu and must be pre-ordered.   I think tonight's version can do with more salted fish taste,  or may be its because I am heavy flavored nowadays!   Still very good none the less : )  ~ 8/10








狀元煎茶果 - Pan Fried Sticky Rice Dumplings 

The Signature here and I must have eaten this a dozen times.   I got curious and asked the table if it was only me,  or did this dish here became more savory salty over the years?   Back in the days I distinctly remember it had less meat and more sugary,  since this recipe is kind of like French Cheeses and suppose to bridge the gap between Savory to Desserts courses.  I am glad someone else also remember and Chef Leung did explain the dumpling skin did use less sugar nowadays,  coz more people prefer it saltier than too sweet.  Subjectively speaking this also suits me more,  but I guess the world is always evolving.   Every time I have this,  I think the version and taste has improved.   I wished the whole plate was mine !   ~ 10/10





黃金脆鮮奶 - Shunde Style Fried Milk 

This is a new dish here and I was shocked to discover it here,  because this is how it is served in Shunde region.  So many so-called Shunde style restaurants just coat this in thick batter and fry it.   The version here is rolled in Fried Bread instead of a thin Spring Roll like Skin.   The center milk pudding has been fine-tuned deliberately so that even after frying,  it is still smooth and wobbly.   Out of all the Chinese Kitchens in HK and Macau,  I was not surprised I found this traditional yet modernized recipe at Hoi King Heen.   This team is super sensitive to Cantonese cuisine and at the same time re-developing it,  it is equivalent to the Alain Ducasse camp to me just in Chinese cooking.  Well done.  ~ 9/10







蛋白杏仁露 - Egg Whites and Almond Dessert Soup

The must order dessert here.   Much like the 狀元煎茶果 dumplings above,  I found that this Almond Tea is less sweet and more smoother nowadays when I visit...  Totally up my alley.   It is almost so soothing and although I didn't ask,  I am pretty sure this keeps being fine-tuned over the years.   I cannot remember a better version anywhere else in town.   ~  10/10







Life has been Awarding This Week - 

You know I am actually quite a bad and mean foodie.  I don't deny it at all.....  People ask me why I lost weight in recent months and why I don't eat much.  Truth be told I got a bit bored of eating food,  and some probably find me arrogant saying this but I have previously saved up money and had some of the best meals in the world already...   Yet tonight at Hoi King Heen,  my passion for food was re-ignited again and I ate so much and even the bus wanted to charge me double fees to get back home : )   It is because I totally believe the food and recipes here are really helping to re-define the future direction of Chinese and Cantonese Cuisine.  Thanks to Chef Leung and his team for making this happen again and again and always updating themselves!   You will always remain my hero.  My last Official Review of here can be found here but there are plenty more I need to update too :  http://www.hkepicurus.com/2014/04/hoi-king-heen-epitomy-of-chinese-cuisine.html






Price:  $400 to 500 Per Person + 10%
Dinner:  ♕♕♕♕♕ to ♕♕♕♕♕ 1/2 

Opening Hours:
Mon to Sat -  11:30am - 22:30pm
Sun -  10:30am - 22:30pm

Address: 尖沙咀麼地道70號海景嘉福酒店B2層
B2, InterContinental Grand Stanford Hong Kong, 70 Mody Road, Tsim Sha Tsui
Ph: 2731 2883





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...