Thursday, June 7, 2012

La Maison Angelina - (Paris)

    Angelina in Paris is of Austrian origins but nevertheless is one of the must visit institutions much like the lauded Laduree.   I haven’t been back here for too many years and last time I walked by I was preparing to have a big meal at Le Meurice next door,  so this time around I came back to take some pictures.    According to almost every guide book, their 2 most famous items to must order are the Hot Chocolate L’Africain and the Mont Blanc cake,  and the former still definitely holds true to this day,  but those in the know have probably been previously disappointed by their slightly too hyped up Mont Blanc chestnut cake!   The must order item here is probably their more unique Vanilla Crumbled Eclairs.   Since I’ve eaten both before,  this time around I just concentrated on my croissant and the hot chocolate this time!

 

 
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
Packed with Tourists and the Likes -


 


 

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
The Room is still Beautiful -
But on a hot day,  there is no Air Conditioning.
So I was literally sweating in here like sitting in a Sauna whilst drinking my Hot Chocolate..
Sad smile




OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
Croissant -
The Viennoiseries here are great as always. 
The laminated dough looked superbly layered,  with a crispy crust but was probably a too soft inside and could do with more butteriness.  On it’s own,  this is already a good croissant.  But I have had a few which were even better,  including Le Grenier a Pain,  Sadaharu Aoki,  Pierre Herme, etc.   ~  7/10


 

 

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
Hot Chocolate L’Africain -
The one I compare this to directly is the La Maison du Chocolat version.  This is also very viscous thick but probably less intense in bitterness,  although at the same time also less fruitier.  This is very well balanced…  Probably less challenging or hardcore,  but as an everyday drink this would be my more preferred choice over the VERO or La Maison du Chocolat version.  It’s good,  if only the shop provides any air conditioning!   ~  8/10


 

 

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
Mont Blanc & Vanilla Crumbled Eclairs -
All the guide books will tell customers to must order the Mont Blanc cake,  but to me it was never that great and I will even avoid it.  On the other hand, their unique Crumbled Eclairs have been more special with it’s special choux pastry texture.. which a similar éclair can also be found in Melbourne at Chez Dre. 

 

 

Price:   Euro $11
Ease of Access:   4/5  (3 Mins walk from Metro Tuileries.)
Food:   ♕♕♕♕ 1/2

Opening Hours:
Mon to Sun -  09:00am - 19:00pm

Address:  226 Rue de Rivoli, 75001 Paris
Ph: 01 42 60 82 00

2 comments:

  1. Did u add any of that thick whipped cream on top?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peech, yes I did nearer the end! Wanted to taste more of the base taste first this time around before I do that Vienna style. I guess I do the same with Pho before I add herbs these days.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...