Sunday, January 27, 2013

Xavier Vins 2010 Chateauneuf du Pape from Tina Cellar - ( @ Bo Innovation, Hong Kong )

Michelin 2 Stars

 Tina Cellar a Hong Kong wine importer,  spoke of her fondness for Xavier’s Chateauneuf du Pape wines when she first experienced it about a decade ago by chance.  The measure she has taken to finally convince and secure Mr Xavier’s commitment from their tiny French village is a moving story to be told.    Fast forward to 2013 and Tina is now their exclusive wine distributor in Hong Kong!    Mr Xavier himself is a wine consultant for many big French wineries and his own Xavier Branded CdP wines are cropped from the best of old vines and 2 blended GSM vintages recently got awarded 96 Points by Robert Parker Jr.   He has now collaborated with Michelin 2 Starred Alvin Leung’s Bo Innovation restaurant to blend together a MSG wine  (a word play on GSM, aka Grenache Syrah Mourvedre),   to pair with Alvin’s Asian fusion dishes.



 

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
Bo Innovation -




 

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
The starting Wines to warm up the day -



 

 

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
The Xavier Chateauneuf du Pape Cuvee Anonyme 2007 & 2009-
Have gotten a lot of praise by Wine Advocate and Robert Parker Jr.

 

 

 

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
Rear:  Base Grenache,  Syrah and Mourvedre for us to play with blending ourselves.
Front Glass:  Our own,   final adjusted blend according to what we think can pair with most foods below at Bo Innovation.   It is work in progress for the afternoon as we hectically played with each component hoping for the best!




 


OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
Canapes to Start with -
Jamon Iberico and Vermicelli . 
Langoustine with Mustard and Saffron Froth.


 

 


OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
REPRESENTING SWEET - 
Cod,  Yellow Miso,  Sauternes Jelly & Seaweed








OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
SOUR -
Vine Tomato braised in Pat Chun Chinese vinegar, Chinkiang vinegar & Pea Shoot.

 

 

 

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
BITTER -
Fried Squid Ball and Kaffir Lime.
*We thought the Kaffir Lime overpowered the palate a little bit.








OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
HOT -
Lobster poached in Sichuan Pepper, Spicy Bisque, Peas

 

 


 

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
UMAMI -
Home made Pasta,  ‘Hai Mi’ prawn powder,  Kaniko,  Wooden Fungus.  Quite lovable.





 

 

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
Xavier’s progressive Blending Experiment on the Spot -
He just blended the 3 Grenache,  Syrah and Mourvedre with different proportions on the spot.  They were all great actually but with very different start to finishing palates and tannin structure.  Ability to age the wines is also taken into consideration by Xavier from his own experience with regards to acidity and tannins present.  
The last of these 3 transitional wine blends is going to be the 2010 Cuvee to work with Bo Innovation’s food.





 

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
Xavier Vins 2009 Cuvee Anonyme -
In the meantime we got to try the 2009 version of Anonyme, with a RPJ rating of 96 points.

 

 

 

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
Jamon Iberico Gai Daan Jai by Bo Innovation -
Quite good actually,  was a little surprised at how eggy the batter was and also how this paired with the fatty Jamon ham.  




 

 

Price:  Wine Meal was by Invitation
Ease of Access:  4/5
Food:  ♕♕♕♕ to ♕♕♕♕♕
Opening Hours:
Mon to Sat -  12:00pm to 14:00pm, 19:00pm to 00:00am

Address: 灣仔莊士敦道60號 J Senses 2樓13號舖
BO Innovation,  Shop 13, 2/F J Residence, 60 Johnston Road, Wan Chai
Ph: 2850 8371

3 comments:

  1. Hey:) I went to Bo London the other day and wasn't too impressed... but that's not your point:)

    I'm coming back to Hong Kong next for some food sprees, would you help me out by suggesting your top 3 so I don't waste any quota?

    Thanks:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Wingz! Sorry I hurried all by reviews last weekend and didn't even had time to blog again until Friday night !! :(

    Yeh I think BO Innovation polarizes people, I personally think their Dim Sum dishes are very good but A La Carte wise it really depends... Sorry never got around to writing those other visits.

    In HK right now, I think I am getting more and more impressed by GOLD by Harlans as he's improving all the time! For Cafe Food, Cafe DeadEnd is interesting - the food is Canadian and quite different from HK/London/Aust style cafe food.

    I haven't been to Yoshitake yet but heard great things about it. Ryugin is now in HK but looks so diff to the Tokyo one. Truth be told I am not really impressed by anything as of late haha!

    Off the beaten track a bit - I really like the Suckling Pig from Sheung Wan's 小杬公菜館Siu Lam Kung. (Warning: Need to ask for Lean Pig). You can smell the pig from 2-3 tables away... not many restaurants can manage that here with Cantonese style pigs!! When u come back give me a buzz ! Leave me an email or whatsapp me on 90808278 : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey:) I felt like a complete stranger in Hong Kong, and the days literally flew by! I took the first one on the list to Harlans @ The One for lunch. I must say it's brilliant value for money!

      I made note of the others you listed, sadly with CNY getting my foot in those doors along with my frantic schedule was impossible... I was taken to Knockbox and Barista Jam for some caffeine shots though, I was impressed:) Then I sort of followed your more recent posts of Sen-ryo and Yu San to make sure I'm not wasting any meal quotas:) Are you a HK style tea-cafe person? I never was till my Dad took me to nose around Sham Shui Po; Hk-style milk-tea is invincible!

      I've dropped you a whatsapp so you have my no. You coming to London any time soon? xx

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...