Tuesday, April 16, 2013

泗益 Si Yik HK French Toast - (Hong Kong)

  I had little idea on how to pronounce the Chinese name of this shop.  Apparently,  it’s translated as Si Yik but I don’t think this shop in Stanley carries a English translation at all?   For many years it has been reputed to serve the best British Colonial-Chinese fusion styled French Toast or pain perdu,  a by-product of the years that Britain used to rule Hong Kong and almost all other Cha Chaan Tengs in town carry these odd fusion dishes.    After 2 separate visits spanning years apart,   I think it does warrant some attention.   But as for the best HK French Toast in town,  I reserve judgment as I have had better on luckier days!    Plus,  I am not going to eat at every Cha Chaan Teng in Hong Kong to find out the best French Toast,   or I am soon going to start looking like the Michelin tire man.

 

 

P1060678-1
In Stanley Maket -
The usual queue and wait on the weekend,  is roughly 30 mins.

 

 

 

P1060684-1
The Man,  making your HK style French Toasts -
I actually took a video separately.  But he closely guards his secret recipe and hence the highish counter set-up.   All I can divulge to you is that he does beat his egg whites and the egg yolks separately to create what he deems is the best recipe,  almost like a French pastry chef.  I don't know smile

 

 

 

P1060687-1
Iced Lemon Tea,  Less Syrup -
This was not sour enough for me.  The black tea base can also be more convincing.  ~  6.5/10

 


 

P1060690-1
Iced HK Milk Tea -
Again,  not impressive.  Tea was totally missing tea flavours base.  ~  5/10

 


 


P1060693-1P1060697-1
HK Style French Toast with Kaya Filling -
With the separately beaten egg whites and egg yolks,  the coating of this created a much more fluffier external crust.   Ultimately for me,  I think this was kinda soft and not very eggy.   The Kaya spread inside also wasn’t very coconutty or buttery enough.   All in all I do appreciate the way they cook this with so many extra steps involved but I wouldn’t call it the ultimate best version personally.  ~  7/10



 

P1060700-1
Corned Beef and Eggs Sandwich -
Just wanted something savory and this was done expectedly average,  as it’s served in almost any Cha Chaan Teng but there were no surprises here.  Some shops make a better one with gimmicks.  For this particular shop,  their gimmick relies on the very softly fried HK French toast.

 

 

 

Price:   Around HKD $50
Food:   ♕♕♕♕
Ease of Access:  3/5

Opening Hours:
Mon,  Wed to Sun -  06:00am – 17:00pm
Tues  - Off

Address: 赤柱市場道2號
2 Stanley Market St, Stanley
Ph:  2813 0503

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...